Monday, February 16, 2009

Manic Monday? Poop, Poison, Run Away Dog, Hospitals and More!

It was a Monday like I've not had for some time and I think it has finally come to an end but then again it is nearly midnight so I guess it should be ending.

I didn't get out of bed until nearly 9:30 and that was a good start. However within the first 30 minutes we had an elderly Alzheimer father in-law who had a fecal accident. My mother-in-law was not feeling well and attempted to get him changed. Soon I couldn't find our 10 wk old puppy, only to find her eating poop in the bathroom a few minutes later. I quickly got her cleaned up and back in her kennel for some rest.

Caryl got her dad shower and got him dressed for the day. During this time we noticed that her mom was more disoriented than the day before and that she continued to have some jerking of her arm. Her medicines had just been changed a few days ago so we've been believing that this is side-affects of the new medicines. As the morning progressed we noticed that she was getting worse so we called her doctor. He recommended that she go to the hospital to be evaluated and rule out anything that may be going wrong.

Meanwhile- I had a call to help a family get a tow dolly to go pick up a car in Tucson. When we were at U-haul it turned out that the vehicle they had to pull the dolly/car was not large enough so we couldn't make this work.

Our niece, Melyssa came to help with dad while Caryl was at the doctor. What a huge help and Marley came along to play and Johnny was entertained. About mid-afternoon dad let Little-Man (Mom's escape artist Bichon Frise) out the front door. Melyssa was able to get him back but not before dad had made his way partially down the street. Meanwhile I was partially oblivious as Johnny was doing a poop and Marley was playing upstairs. Soon Daniel, my awesome friend next door, was ringing the doorbell to deliver dad back home.

Around 4 Pm I arrived back from the store with a few items that we needed for the day. Around that time I had Susan come by to help rearrange mom/dad's room so that she would have a more comfortable bed. Meanwhile Melyssa took dad, Marley and Johnny outside - and I believed all the dogs were along. Once I thought I heard something and I went to check and see if a dog had been trapped in our pantry - didn't see anything.

Then about 5 min later Johnny comes to tell me that Sydney (our 10 wk old Mastiff puppy) had been trapped in the pantry. Not sure how she got in there other than that she followed Johnny in for a snack. Well, her snack was a tray of phosphorescent blue rat poison. Called her vet. They said make her vomit by using peroxide and then get her to the Doggy ER as quickly as possible. Didn't seem like she would vomit and then we finally had HUGE piles of blue vomit - lovely and then other dogs trying to get into it. I'd like to say I kept my cool but I yelled a bit and was rather forceful with everyone. Finally I'm off to the ER vet which is 30 minutes away in Chandler. Melyssa & Susan both agreed to stay behind and clean up the vomit, watch dad and keep the kids entertained.

The vet was so professional and so good. I'd like to say I've never been there before but our epileptic Dalmatian of days gone by made quite a few visits. Turns out the vomiting was good for Sydney. She got a good dose of liquid charcoal, a Vitamin K shot, an IV and a prescription for 21 days of Vitamin K. At the end of that we'll check her clotting levels and if they are OK we'll be done - if not - more Vitamin K. Fortunately second generation rat poisons are treatable and we should have a full grown Mastiff in the year to come! Praise God as I already love this dog and could not face Kelvin (the breeder) if she had not survived!

Meanwhile Caryl and mom have now been in ER for over 12 hours. She was seen by a doctor in the past hour. Prior to that they did about 5 tests - chest X-Ray, Head CT, Blood work, Urine tests and more. They are now looking to admit her as her oxygen levels have not been good, swelling is very bad and they want to run a few more tests. Looks like it could be 3-8 hrs until she gets a room - Wow do we need more capacity in health care in AZ or what?

The puppy is sleeping. My son is sleeping and Susan is staying over to help with him. Dad is changed for a final time and in bed asleep. I'm catching up on some blogging and other online stuff and will take my position on the couch downstairs very soon. Have to to be sure Dad doesn't get out again tonight!

I really have laughed today - what else could we do? Was it just another Manic Monday? You decide!

No comments:

Great Books to Check Out

  • The Fine Line - Kary Oberbrunner
  • Fasting - Jentezen Franklin
  • The Shack
  • Under The Overpass by Mike Yankoski
  • Heaven Is In This House - Bobbie Houston
  • Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels
  • UnChristian by David Kinnaman