Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Do You Hear His Voice?


Do you hear His voice?

This morning was an incredible start to the day. I met with 5 other men for "The Bullpen" at Sunrise Cafe. We meet to discuss current, controversial or hot topics and apply scripture to our lives.


Today we talked more about Jehovah Rohi, the Good Shepherd. Our current series, a.k.a. God, is helping us to learn about the character of God by learning his names. This week we learned about his provision, his peace and his presence. He is the one who cares for us, calms us and comforts us. What a personal view of God, one who would gather us as a lamb and carry us close to his heart. (Isaiah 40:11)

As we discussed this passage more today we had to deal with the realities of being sheep. This is not really a popular image in an individualistic, slick world. However, as one guy said - at least we know that there will always be green grass, fresh water and one who will protect me. Another man talked about how we all must see ourselves as shepherds and the responsiblity we have to our families, other young men and to the culture around us. Perhaps the thing that stayed with me most was our dicussion about hearing the shepherds voice.

Often believers say, I've accepted Christ, I'm trying to do the right things, but "I don't think I hear his voice?" . The guy who brought this to us for discussion, so geniunely told of when he was a young believer and asked his pastor this question. He said that he learned that day that the word of God is always true and does not lie. As his pastor told him, "if you have committed your life to Jesus, if he is your Savior, you can hear his voice." That day, he became aware that the Shepherd was speaking to him and he could hear his voice. That was the day that his relationship with Jesus began to change.

The Good Shepherd is there to care, calm and comfort you. He is speaking directly to you. Do you hear His voice?

3 comments:

kmai said...

Hi Scott,
I just wanted you to know I have heard the voice of Jesus once. It was 3 days after I had been baptised when I felt the spirt of God fill my room and saw amazing light energy and then the voice of Jesus spoke to me saying fear not for it is I and his spirt entered my heart at that very moment. I am so blessed by God. I was once a lost person so addicted to meth that I lost everything even my children. I was overwhelmed by sadness and dispair and lost myself. but, by the grace of God and because Jesus made a way for me I am here and I have been saved from the addiction. I have Jesus, Faith and happiness. Even with all the sadness and loss I can say I am happy and so changed. Praise God!

Karen M.

Unknown said...

Let the Redeemed of the Lord say so, say so! I love to hear these stories. It is not religion but the loving hand of God that saves us! Thanks for having the courage to share your story!
Blessings - Scott

Anonymous said...

Yes, last Wednesdays Bullpen was filled with heartfelt insight into Gods relationship with us. It was a time of true fellowship and uninhibited sharing of our lives with each other. All too rare these days and therefore so valuable.

Great Books to Check Out

  • The Fine Line - Kary Oberbrunner
  • Fasting - Jentezen Franklin
  • The Shack
  • Under The Overpass by Mike Yankoski
  • Heaven Is In This House - Bobbie Houston
  • Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels
  • UnChristian by David Kinnaman