Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Johnny's Prayer



Wow - do I love being a dad or what? There are just times that kids can be so alive that you want to linger in the moment for a long time!


I just came from putting Johnny to bed. Every night we ask him who he wants to pray for. There are many nights that he names just one person or others that he says - "you pray tonight". But tonight was one of those prolific nights of prayer from the lips of a 4-year old and daddy just got to listen.


"Thank you God for Joshua, Alex, BobbiJo..thank you for pappy and ma Baker,thank you for Mackie, and Brandy and Bailey. Please take care of Bailey.(she was our dalmation that passed last fall) Thank you for Levi and all of my friends...thank you for my friends at school, thank you for that school, thank you for our new house, thank you for my bunk bed, thank you for our walls - thank you that our house is not a warehouse! (?not sure where that came from) Thank you for air conditioning - Amen!"

Then we got to talk about how prayer is something that God loves. I explained that praying is talking to God about all the things that you are thankful for, what you've been doing and even your questions. I said - God is our Daddy in heaven and just like I love to hear what you do everyday - God wants to hear from you. I told him that even God would talk to him. Johnny said - "But God doesn't talk". Daddy said "If you stop and listen you will hear him in your mind and your heart one day - I promise you." From Johnny - silence....and contemplation.

Then we did "Johnny Is..." and off to sleep. Oh - if this moment could last forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really awesome honey...I think the walls thing came from our discussion the other night. He said "I don't have anything else to say thank you for" and I said "You can thank God for the walls - so we don't have to live outside." Thanks for sharing...love you - I'm going to bed now...or at least I'll try.

Hyla said...

Aww.... so sweet! I'm thankful my house isn't a warehouse, too!!
I like the redesign, by the way!

Great Books to Check Out

  • The Fine Line - Kary Oberbrunner
  • Fasting - Jentezen Franklin
  • The Shack
  • Under The Overpass by Mike Yankoski
  • Heaven Is In This House - Bobbie Houston
  • Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels
  • UnChristian by David Kinnaman