Thursday, January 15, 2009

This Was an Eye Opener!

Today I was reading "Fasting" by Jentezen Franklin and this was an eye opener! Wow God, why had I not seen this before? I've been committed and learning about the practice of fasting for a number of years and I had not heard this concept.

The three duties of every Christian are giving, praying and fasting. Matt 6:1-18 gives very strong guidance regarding when we give, when we pray and when we fast. Jentezen says that this creates a threefold cord that is not easily broken. Could we be missing out on great breakthrough and release because we fail to fast?

I know that my actions are not going to make God love me more. But, I sure can tell the difference between being dry and being full. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled (Matt 5:6) Isn't forgoing food or drink for a period of time worth it to have a deeper understanding of the relationship God desires with us? Wouldn't it be worth it to have more of his character revealed?

God, like never before I want my attention to be turned from my stomach, from my desires, from my needs, from my wants, from my concerns - to Your Kingdom! Your Kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven!

So what do you think?

No comments:

Great Books to Check Out

  • The Fine Line - Kary Oberbrunner
  • Fasting - Jentezen Franklin
  • The Shack
  • Under The Overpass by Mike Yankoski
  • Heaven Is In This House - Bobbie Houston
  • Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels
  • UnChristian by David Kinnaman